Week One: We have just completed week 1 of our Fall Alpha class. In case you were not in attendance, you can watch the video here.
Our small groups were centered around these questions:
What did you think/feel about the content/issues raised in the video? Page 8 of “Why am I here” booklet has some good thought questions.
- What brings you happiness? Talk about a time when you had a great experience being happy.
- Before watching the video, what was you concept of Jesus? When you think of Jesus, what do you feel? Has your concept of Jesus changed? If so why and how?
- If you had a chance to meet Jesus, how would you feel and what would you say to him?
Week Two: We have just completed week two. In case you missed it, you can watch the video here. Some of the small group questions are listed below.
Before you viewed the video, what was your understanding
of Jesus? Has it changed?
• Who do you think Jesus is?
• Do you think Christianity is a ‘blind leap of faith’ or is there
adequate evidence of Jesus’ divinity?
• What aspects of the evidence presented in the talk today did you
find convincing/not convincing? Jesus’ teachings, character, actions,
fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, resurrection)
• Nicky said there are really only “three realistic possibilities” about
who Jesus is. What do you think about that statement?
a) Lord (He was who He said He was) b) Liar (He lied about
everything and c) Lunatic (He was insane, a madman)
Week Three: We have just completed week three. In case you missed it you can watch it here. Some of the small group questions are listed below.
• In the video, Nicky said “sin is the greatest problem that
confronts people today.” What is your understanding of “sin”?
• Nicky talked about the power of sin, saying that we become
“slaves to sin”. Would you agree that sin is addictive and
destructive? How so?
• What are some examples of sin that you see in our
world today: individually, locally and globally? (Also
physical, emotional, social, etc.)
• What are you thoughts about the penalty for sin?
Should all sin be punished in some way? Even our
• Jesus took our place on the cross, not only so we can
go to heaven, but so that our quality of life on earth
might be very different. How so? (i.e. freedom from
sin, forgiveness, clean conscience, relationship with
God, peace, joy, strength, hope, healing, future
• What do you think or feel about the idea of
forgiveness? What is it? Have you ever forgiven
anyone and was it difficult?
Week 4: We have just completed week 4 of our Fall Alpha class. In case you were not in attendance, you can watch it here.
These are some discussion questions:
1. What do you think it means to have a relationship with
2. Do you associate love or fear with God? Explain.
3. Do you think it is arrogant for someone to say they are sure
they are going to heaven? What are some examples of people
trying to be “good enough” to get to heaven or for God to be
pleased with them?
4. What do you think when you hear about people’s lives
being transformed by belief in Jesus? What do you feel? Do
those thoughts fill that “hole” in your being? Does it make you
feel joyful? Hopeful? Confused? Doubtful?
5. Nicky said that it is important to base our faith on the
promises of the Bible rather than on our own feelings. Why is
that so important? (Consider: feelings change and sometimes
Week 5: If you missed the session or if you want to see it again, you can watch it here:
Following are some questions we asked throughout the evening.
If God knows our needs, why should we pray about them?
• Nicky gave various examples of what to pray for, and the
reasons. Which of these can you relate to: crisis, protection,
guidance, spiritual hunger, etc.?
• What are some good reasons we may not always get what
we pray for? (Consider: unconfessed sin, the intention to sin,
wrong motives, desires not in line with God’s will, God says
• Can you think of a time or know of an incident where prayer
really did change circumstances?
• How do you know God answered a particular prayer and
that it wasn’t just coincidence?